Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Finally in Washington

Update from Caitlin:

I've been assigned to the Crossroads Spanish Branch, which is in Bellevue, WA.  My trainer is Hermana Brooks and I LOVE her!

Our apartment is interesting.  Missionaries haven't lived in this apartment before us.  We walked in and the smell was overwhelming, and familiar.  Being a former paramedic I have been exposed to all kinds of smells, and I swear there was a dead body in this apartment before we moved in!  A can of Fabreeze later it began to smell better.  In order to open the oven door all the way you have to remove the door knob from the cabinet.  Interesting times :)

My first time knocking on doors was also extremely eventful. To sum up the experience, these next three people were consecutive doors that I knocked. Apparently I have a talent for choosing "special" doors. The first one was a teenaged asian boy that told us that he had prophesied of a dragon descending in a ball of fire and a few other things. We did not make a follow-up appointment with him. The next door was officially my first whiff of marijuana in this lovely state. The man that answered was extremely happy, but not quite there. We couldn't stop laughing after that...maybe we inhaled a little too much. THEN, the third door...the guy answered but just peeked his head out the door and was extremely out of breath and said he was "in the middle of something"...pretty sure he was naked behind that door. We left extremely quickly. We did NOT try to give him a pamphlet. Hermana Brooks knocked the next several doors.
Okay, now a little about our branch. After meeting with the mission leader and the branch president, we realized we have our work cut out for us. About half of the ward is either inactive or less active. Hermana Brooks and I were getting a little frustrated about not being able to find any new investigators, but we had the thought "if the branch can't keep any of their established members, why would God send us any new ones?" so we are working really hard on bringing those people back to church. Funny story...when we met with the branch president the first time, he gave us this candy from Columbia (where he's from). It was rolled in coconut so I was super excited! It was amazing...until the coconut went away and you were left with this toffee like substance that kind of tasted like a mix of chocolate, coffee and soap. I still don't know how I feel about them, but we have to eat one each time we see him. Maybe they will grow on me and I'll like them by the time I'm transferred.
 
I LOVE the members here. The member work is my favorite thing. Finding new people is a little frustrating, but I know it will be worth it. We are in the same ward as our district leaders, so we are splitting the work a little bit. Several times this week, members said how excited they were to have sister missionaries back in the ward.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 




No comments: